I was advised today, Wednesday, 19th October, 2016, by Her Excellency the Governor-General that the seven writs issued on Friday, 23rd September, 2016, have been revoked.
Her Excellency has commanded me to inform the general public of Grenada that today, 19th October, 2016, seven writs of constitutional referendums have been issued. The date appointed by the Governor-General as Constitutional Referendum is Thursday, 24th November, 2016. On this date, all registered electors would be entitled to vote “Yes” or “No” to the approval of each of the seven Constitutional Amendment Bills as passed by the House of Representatives and the Senate, namely:
(1) Constitution of Grenada (Caribbean Court of Justice and Other Justice-Related Matters (Amendment) Bill, 2016;
(2) Constitution of Grenada (Elections and Boundaries Commission) (Amendment) Bill, 2016;
(3) Constitution of Grenada (Ensuring the Appointment of Leader of the Opposition) (Amendment) Bill, 2016;
(4) Constitution of Grenada (Fixed Date for Elections) (Amendment) Bill, 2016;
(5) Constitution of Grenada (Name of State) (Amendment) Bill, 2016;
(6) Constitution of Grenada (Rights and Freedoms) (Amendment) Bill, 2016;
(7) Constitution of Grenada (Term of Office of Prime Minister) (Amendment) Bill, 2016;
Accordingly, pursuant to the Constitutional Referendum Act, 2016 (as amended) the Governor-General has appointed Tuesday, 1st November, 2016 as the final day for registration of electors for participation in Constitutional Referendum Day. All persons who are entitled to be registered as electors in Grenada and who have not yet so been registered are invited to present themselves at the Parliamentary Elections Constituency Office nearest to their residence so that they can be registered as electors and exercise their franchise on Constitutional Referendum Day.
The general public of Grenada is also informed that the date appointed for the return of the seven writs of constitutional referendum is on or before Tuesday, 13th December, 2016.